Propylon worked with the Montana Legislative Services Division (LSD) team on a large-scale data and process transformation project to successfully convert the Montana Code Annotated (MCA) from the ageing mainframe environment to a modern, supported, user-friendly technology in time for the start of the 2017 session. The project was awarded for excellence in innovative technology at the 2016 Montana Government IT Conference in December. The award sought to recognize and honour innovation and excellence in the use of information technology in state government, and this project was chosen due to the transformational way in which it has addressed critical business processes, ensuring that the Montana laws are on a platform that will support the legislature into the future.
About the project
- Migrate the MCA data, business processes and automation layers off the mainframe
- Implement a user-friendly, reliable and robust platform to manage the MCA
- Provide a set of tools that improve the efficiency and turnaround times of the MCA publications
- Ensure the new technology platform significantly reduces the learning curve for new users
Focusing on Quality
- Housing the MCA in a safe and supportable technical environment
- Providing an upgraded and streamlined committee management system
- Mitigating the risk of old technology and the lack of resources
- Implementing creative solutions to meet users’ needs
- Providing audit trails, metadata search, machine readable data
- Integrating Annotation and MCA data structure and the standard open format of data
- Introducing legislative semantic mark-up to the XML format to enrich the data
- Enabling Montana IT teams to take over the supporting of the production system
The MCA’s mainframe migration is part of a larger program of work to build an IT platform and suite of tools that will support the legislature management of electronic changes to the law for years to come. The next stage will focus on creating a new, fully mobile-optimized website for the Montana Legislature to increase constituent transparency and engagement.